The medieval church was cruciform in shape (unusual for the area) and the existing tower with its herringbone stone work is Norman in origin and contains 4 bells, the oldest dated 1613.
The chancel has Early English arches, two of which were blocked up when the transepts were taken down and the nave rebuilt in 1828.
History & Heritage of the village
Evidence exists for human settlement in the area in pre-Roman and Roman times. Three Saxon estates existed in the area which were later taken over by the Normans.
The Domesday Book (1086) records the presence of a religious building and a priest.
From the early 1200s until the dissolution Welbeck Abbey controlled the land and probably took the tithes. Thereafter Trinity College, Cambridge was granted control by Henry VIII and also had the right to appoint the vicar. This continued until about 1946 when the estates were sold.
The Flintham Estate still has influence in the village, owning about half of the properties in the older part of the village and much of the surrounding land. Flintham Hall is the home of the Hildyard family. The house is Victorian Gothic in style with an older Georgian wing. There is also a Victorian conservatory, designed by T E Hine and influenced by the Crystal Palace.